Monday, January 31, 2011

I'm Still Here

Thank you, friends and family, for inquiring as to my well-being, no doubt motivated by my bogging absence since Thanksgiving.  See this?




A couple of weeks ago, I forced myself to de-clutter my handbag.  This is what I found in the bottom (in addition to a wadded-up $1,300 check given to me in early December by a client).  This sort of sums up what my November and December were like.  I decorated twelve Christmas trees, made a number of wreaths, completed a kitchen renovation project, installed two additional granite jobs, and finished four client projects which included draperies, bedding, a headboard, upholstery...... Whew!  All before I left town on December 22 to spend twelve wonderful days in South Carolina with the Blue-eyed Bride clan. Along the way (since we drove, taking our time), we stopped for visits with friends and family in Louisiana and Alabama.  I hardly checked e-mail or even phone calls during that period.  I was in total decompression mode, and it was wonderful.


But, I DID come back to Dallas and reality and had to go through some de-clutter -- in my handbag, in my office, in my Suburban, sorting through twelve days of mail -- and get ready for two renovations projects starting in late January. I didn't go to market in Atlanta in January because of these projects, but I did check out the Dallas market to see what trends I could spot. The Dallas market doesn't hold a candle to AmericasMart in Atlanta, but there are some top-notch showrooms.  Both Global Views and Arteriors are Dallas-based, so they have a nice presence in the Dallas market.


So, what are the trends?  Bright colors and animals (heads, noses, antlers, all-things-animal).  I was eager to see if Pantone's color for 2011 - Honeysuckle (the wild, bright pink variety) - would show up.  It did.













And, plenty of peacocks!


All in all, there wasn't a lot to wow me, but I saw upbeat, happy, color.  Still a lot of shabby-urban-neutral-distressed-gray.  But there are bursts of color everywhere.... and that makes me HAPPY!

I'm working on some major color in two new little-people rooms.  My grand niece Lily and grandson Hudson will be moving into big-girl/boy rooms soon, as their siblings arrive.  New babies arriving in March and May, respectively.  Lily has chosen a pink and purple theme; Hudson deferred to Blue-eyed Bride.

Two of the fabrics for Lily's happy room:





And, Hudson's:

Stay tuned for the finished rooms.

What else am I doing this year?  Catching up with friends, planning some trips, reading the Bible through, seeing lots of movies (ones I didn't have time to see in December and early January), working with some new clients and some existing ones, loving my women's Bible study on Tuesday mornings and our amazing Sunday School class at First Baptist Dallas, trying to stay warm in this cold Dallas weather by burning lots of firewood (love reading my Bible by a roaring fire in the mornings), and being thankful for a new year to see God's plan unfold in our lives.  I'm very thankful to have you along for the adventure.

I go back to M. D. Anderson on February 21 for another round of scans.  And, by the way, I still have unpacked boxes.  But, I'm making progress.

"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."  Isaiah 30:21 (NIV)

Are you listening?

2 comments:

  1. Love the verse you posted at the end. God is definitely telling me (in many different ways, lately) that I cannot miss his will. Yesterday, this verse was so special to me....Psalm 25:12 You will show the right path to all who worship you. I love how God confirms things time and time again when He has a special message. He is so great. Thanks for sharing Is. 30:21!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing pictures of the projects you're working on so I can't wait to see how the two kiddo's big boy/girl rooms turn out!

    ReplyDelete