Monday, September 20, 2010

The Dining Car

I live in my Suburban.  It's my primary mode of transportation, my second office, my alternate storage facility, and an occasional loner vehicle for my husband.  It very often, also, becomes my dining car.  My healthful eating regimen, however, can be challenging when I am required to eat on the run or on the drive to my next appointment.

McDonald's and Sonic both have wraps on their menus, and, I just ask them to leave off the meat.  I peel away half the wrap dough and dine on lettuce and tomatoes.  Not bad in a crunch.  The fruit smoothies at McDonald's is also a quick meal.  A little high in calories (natural sugar), but not does have some nutritional value.

I got really creative on Friday. It was a jammed-pack day, but I needed to eat between appointments. I made a quick stop at eatZi's, picked up hummus with roasted red pepper, some whole grain crackers, a fruit cup, and some green tea.  Yum Yum!


I realize how blessed I am to have places like eatZi's, and you may not have those choices.  But, you probably have Whole Foods, or Fresh Market, or your local grocery store contains the choices I mentioned.  The down side:  you have to get out of the cockadoody car!  There's no drive-thru. Why can't at least one of the now 5,000 frozen yogurt locations in this city have a drive-thru?

I ate my lunch while my gasoline was pumping into my gas-hog vehicle.  I do not endorse driving with your knee while you eat your fruit cup (but I've done it!).

Here's to more healthful eating (I've become such a granola) and better drive-thru food choices.

Genesis 1:29
Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.”

John 4:31-34
Meanwhile his disciples urged him, "Rabbi, eat something."  
But he said to them, "I have food to eat that you know nothing about."
Then his disciples said to each other, "Could someone have brought him food?"
"My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work."

3 comments:

  1. I relate so much to the lack of healthy drive throughs. However, I think it probably has something to do with the whole concept of healthy living and being earth friendly -- no idling cars and less trash for the landfills! I miss EatZi's so much since moving to the burbs. It is always a definite stop when I am back in that part of town. Enjoy it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed this post and I was hoping you would give us (me) some insight into how you are changing your diet. I so need some encouragement to change my evil eating ways. Would love to see a post showing your typical breakfast, lunch and dinner...and how different it is from what you were previously eating. Sadly, no Eatzi's round these here parts, but there are plenty of Sonics. yikes!

    Best to YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so impressed that you took the extra time to seek out a healthy meal! Greasy fast food is super easy in the short-term, but I have to remind myself that in the long run, it's going to take its tole.

    ReplyDelete