Friday, July 16, 2010

From Atlanta: Design Forward . . What's It Called?

Two distinct styles are dominating the Atlanta Market this year -- and, they don't even have a name.  It's just a look.  At least ten showrooms featured this collection of industrial objects.  Surprisingly, it is not the gen-xers in lofts who are the primary buyers of this style.  It's the second-homers.  Interesting.

Urban Organic / Industrial Chic

French pallets with wheels.  Use:  coffee table











Softened with Lucite:

Lamps made from balusters and anything else they can find:
Interesting light fixtures:

Showroom:  moss studios

More uses:

Home Office



Shabby French / California French
You've seen it; it's everywhere.  But, what is it?   Neutral, gray, muslin, burlap, chipped paint.  Many of the items come from Italy and France.  Some are stripped or painted.  It's the alternative to Urban Industrial right now.

This showroom introduces the occasional darker wood into the mix, making it more interesting.




Showroom:  Eloquence

The creativity of man is evidenced here like nowhere else.  A thousand times I've caught myself thinking, "Why didn't I think of that?"  Even the ideas I wouldn't choose to incorporate into my personal style gain my admiration.  I admire the re-purposing of objects, the inclusion of artifacts, and the preservation of antiques. Most of all, I am thankful that there are people who have those gifts and that I am able to be here and enjoy their handiwork.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 (NIV):  Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.


Next:  The Colors of Market



1 comment:

  1. Love the angels' wings; I was wonderin' where I'd left 'em! LOL Glad to see and read your commentary.

    ReplyDelete