Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Woman With Many Titles

I have thought about joining the ranks of bloggers for a while. I am known by many titles: Wife, Mother, Grandmother, Sister, Sister-in-Law, Friend, Decorator... all titles I wear with pride. But, is there anything there that a past-middle-age woman can write about that someone will want to read. Besides, none of those titles defines who I am.

What does define me is a deep, abiding daily walk with my father God. I am His child, and that relationship dictates what goes on in my personal and professional life. Those are experiences I will share with you.

And, there's one new title that I have just acquired:

MELANOMA PATIENT

Yep, that's right. Turns out that a mole behind my right knee that I have had my entire life was harboring a dark little secret. I noticed, as I was lotioning up for the day, that the mole felt rough; and, hello, a baby mole was sprouting beside it. Yikes! and Nasty!

I've never been a sun-worshipper, but have had my share of Gulf Shores beach trips and brief tanning bed episodes when we lived in Indiana and there was no sun for months. Yet, that's what the pathology report said a few weeks ago. It was one of those experiences where everything is fine one day....then your whole life changes.

I am writing my first post from a hospital bed at UT Southwestern University Hospital following a five-hour surgery yesterday.

I will tell you about what's happened since the diagnosis on May 14. And, I will tell you how my trust in God and his perfect plan for my life has and continues to guide my steps.

12 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world! Erin has been tweeting about your surgery and I know several of us have been praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many of us have been praying thanks to Erin's tweets and we all hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for your family! I love your daughter too death and I can't tell you how many prayers I've prayed for you since Erin tweeted about your surgery. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prayed this for you over and over yesterday..."You will keep in perfect peace Karen whose mind is steadfast, because she trusts in you." Isaiah 26.3

    I will be lifting you up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I said a prayer for you yesterday via Erin. Will continue to keep you in my prayers in the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been praying for you all week!!! Erin has been keeping us posted!! We will continue to pray for you lots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our family has been praying for you all week! It was wonderful to meet you at Hudson's party last Saturday; it's so clear how much he just adores his KK, as does Erin. Praying for your peace and total healing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karen! I have been thinking about you as you go through this struggle! I recently had 4 pre-cancerous moles removed. Wishing you a speedy recovery. You have a lovely daughter who I am so happy to call a great friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. (This is really Joni.) So, it looks like I'm the only "passed middle age" comment maker! So good to see you and know that you're resting in the shadow of His wings. We wanted to pray with you before we left, but those nurses... :) We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am praying for you! I love reading Erin's blog and I look forward to reading yours and hearing your story.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your story sounds so like mine. I have now been cancer free for almost 13 years. Mine was also a mole I was born with and I am a fair-skinned redhead who never was out in the sun.

    You will be in my prayers for a full recovery. Watching to see what only God can do.

    ReplyDelete