Saturday, June 19, 2010

Take Up Thy Bed and Walk. . .

Other translations of John 5:8 include the words: pallet, couch, and mat. All that guy had to do was get up and grab his bed and walk. Bold Jesus knew that he had been lying there for a while and couldn't get to the healing waters. So, "out-of-the-box Jesus" just had him skip the whole water thing and be healed because Jesus said so. (Wasn't about the water, was it?) Of course, Jesus got in a lot of trouble with the establishment because he had the guy toting his bed around on the Sabbath. So sad: they got caught up in the minutiae, again, and missed the whole point and the blessing and the Saviour!

That story makes me wanna... SHOUT! Getting that splint off propelled me to move! All I had to do was get up; I didn't have to lug the couch with me. I took a shower (oh, the things we take for granted), did a little paper work, watched taped episodes of Glee and Friday Night Lights, and even talked with a new client. Then, I had to take a little rest. (Easy, girl!) Priceless friends continue to feed and nourish us--physically and spiritually. I'm officially calling a moratorium on food! The freezer is full, and so are we.

I've been thinking a lot about the
second coming of Christ. Cancer will do that to you, I guess. (and, my good friend Richard Trussell, who got me all excited thinking about it when he and Jan dropped off dinner). When I was a child, and even into my teens, I just assumed Jesus would come and our family would all leave this world together. I just couldn't imagine a life without my parents or brothers. That was MY plan. My father and mother left in 1990 and 1993, respectively. God's plan -- He trumps every time.

I still think my
exit strategy has merit...for believers, of course. I hope that if you are reading this that you would be leaving with me. Life here is pretty good--even with the scary and depressing events of our world today. But, I just know that the next stop is too awesome for me to comprehend. I am not being morbid or fatalistic, it's just what I have always known! There's not a nano-second of hopelessness about me. Any outcome for me is a win-win!

If you're lying around moping about your hopeless circumstance, GET UP! And, walk. Or better, yet: run, jump, scream, raise your hands up and SHOUT! Follow Jesus; his plan trumps every time.

6 comments:

  1. Karen, I believe your daughter and my daughter (Kelly's Korner) are Twitter and Blog friends. Somehow I got over to your blog and have read your incredible story. You have made my day by your steadfast faith in Jesus!
    I know how one day your life can change in a split second but God is ALWAYS in control! I am so thankful for your testimony and I will put your name on my morning prayer list.

    I will be coming back to check on you. Keep us posted, OK?
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I've been living in Acts 3. It's interesting to me that Jesus probably passed the lame man mentioned there many times on His way to the temple. But the day came! And that man was leaping!!! I learned that the word translated "leaping" or "jumping" in verse 8 is only used two other times. Once in Acts 14 describing a similar healing and once when Jesus was talking to the Samaritan woman. "Everone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water "welling" (same word) to eternal life."

    That's what you are Karen! So full of the living water, you're welling up and spilling over! Keep on leaping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading your blog and been so encouraged by your strength and positive outlook. But, I just had to comment today because it reminded me of a story. On my aunt's birthday several years ago she made a comment about getting older. Right after a relative remarked that it "beats the alternative" meaning still being here on earth. I'll never forget how my aunt paused and said, "not really". I found that so inspiring and wanted to share. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to your entire post! You're positivity is so refreshing. I've been following Erin's blog for a little while now. I will surely keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love your attitude! Yes, you have a "win win" either way! You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Like you said, not only take up your bed, but run, jump and shout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted you to know, Karen, that my entire Beth Moore Bible study group has added you to their prayer lists!! And as the Lord is so apt to do, our study last night was all about prayer! We are blessed to lift you before His throne!

    ReplyDelete