Thursday, June 17, 2010

Milestones

This week, Baby Hudson and I both reached major milestones relating to our travel in vehicles. He became frontward facing in his car seat; and, I was able to move to the front seat and actually sit upright in the seat. Since my trip home from the hospital, Hudson had been shoving me in the back seat of the Suburban with my right leg as stiff as a board. We put a blanket underneath me, I reclined, and he pushed! Quite a sight. All of the valet parkers at the medical center (a Dallas thing!) were in awe of our unorthodox technique of entering and exiting the vehicle. Early on, I was concerned about exposing myself to the world. Soon, it was "who cares! Just get me out of here." But, today, the splint came off, so I now have some flexibility in my leg and can bend my knee. I still have stitches (for another week) and have to protect the flap from rubbing on anything, but I am thrilled with the extra mobility. The only little bit of pain I have is in my groin where the lymph nodes were removed. And, that is only when I take a step that's too big!

Blessings have come in many forms during the last few weeks. I am always amazed, and often amused, at how God provides. For example... Yesterday, I persuaded Hudson to take me to an appointment with a client to see her recently-flooded kitchen that will require some work. I had to go to the doctor anyway, so I figured we could just make an extra little stop (remember, how I had to get in and out of the vehicle!) to meet with the contractor and figure out what we need to do in the next few weeks. We brought along a wheel chair so he could push me around the house. During the visit, I commented about how glad I would be to be able to get my hair washed (it had been almost two weeks since it was shampooed). She proclaimed with glee, "I've been a hair dresser for thirty years and have a small salon in back. Let me do your hair." And, she did! So unexpected; so God. Then, she prayed for me.

I just marvel at the surprises provided by my creator. I am so glad he is out an "out-of-the-box" thinker/doer. How boring life would be if it always worked out just like we think it should. Where would the trust come from if we could always figure it out on our own? Fresh and new: that's what tomorrow will be.

"It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is they faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23.


5 comments:

  1. Praying for you and your family!! God always has a way of picking us up when we r down and showing us the way! I know God has everything worked out for you and that He will take great care of you!
    My mom broke her ankle very badly, nine weeks ago. I know it is nothing compared to what u r going through but I have been taking care of her for the past nine weeks. I would do anything for my mom and I'm sp glad that I have been able to help her n a low point of her life!! I know your kids feel the se way about helping you! It's the least we can do for our moms, who in fact carried us for forty weeks and raised us to become who we r today!!
    Praying for u lots! Your positive outlook always brightens my day! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to have found your blog through your daughters. I have added you to my prayers this morning and will continue to do so.

    God Bless you for you wonderful attitude and outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great blessing - even if it is just hair, right? Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I know Erin and Todd, and I found your story through her blog. Your outlook on what's happening is so inspirational. I'll definitely be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post makes me cry! She was able to use her gifts and talents to bless you and she was blessed as well because you allowed her to serve you! Our God is Good and shows us HOW MUCH HE LOVES US in such creative ways! His Strength is Perfect!

    ReplyDelete