Saturday, June 12, 2010

How I See It


This is my view for the next few days. Notice the splint from my ankle to my knee. There is a hole in the back for the wound to breathe. I have spared you that picture.

Nice sock, huh? And, it has those little grip lines on the bottom so I get good traction with my WALKER. Now, there's an experience....but, for me, it is more of a HOPPER than a WALKER. Since I can't put any weight on my right leg because of the skin flap/graft, the movement is slide...hop. My son Walker (no relation to my metal device) affectionately reminded me of the walker scene in Regarding Henry.

I have had plenty of suggestions, instructions, critiques, and warnings about walker operation. It is my best friend right now and didn't arrive until 10 p.m. last night. I was home by 6:00 p.m., so until home health delivered it, I was sofa-bound, willing myself not to have to go to the bathroom. But, once it arrived - watch out! Mustering all the upper body strength I lack, I made it to the powder room to brush my teeth, take my "sponge bath" (didn't use a sponge, but that's what I've always heard it called), and potty. Then, I willed myself not to have to get up again until morning. My friend Joni brought me my very own velcro-attatching pouch to haul things, and my friend Jeanette has offered to bedazzle it! What friends I have.

Slept well home from the hospital without interruptions every hour and waked up to my whole little family (except for son-in-law Todd, who I really wish were here because of his always keen humor!) With baby Hudson here, there's never a dull moment. He's so busy--a hunter/gatherer, sorting, arranging, putting back. He's learning new things everyday, and I love watching him grow. He loves his KK, and is a little perplexed that I don't jump to pick him up. He has to come to me, which he does when my cell phone rings or I pick up the remote or have something else that catches his eye. He also likes to just amble over to put his head next to me. Ah... dagger in my heart!

The Acts 2:42 class brought amazing food yesterday and today. And, I know they continue to pray for my healing and biopsy results, as do the choir members, Oasis group and hosts of other friends at First Baptist Dallas. Food, visits, flowers I cannot number, cards, e-mails, facebook posts, and prayers from all of those precious Christian friends.

I hear daily from my yah-yahs, friends all over the United States who care about me, and my extended family. I will publish some of their uplifting and often humorous encouragements in the days to come

I am humbled and reminded:

Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.
--1 John 3:18






4 comments:

  1. A bedazzled walker pouch. One can only imagine. Maybe I'll ask Jeanette to bedazzle my Mom's! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  2. KK-
    i am praying for you, a lot.
    hang in there and enjoy the presence of your lovely family around you. please let me know if i can be of any help :))
    love you!
    MISSa catherine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I just connected to your blog through Erin's - my prayers are with you, Mr. Akin, and the whole family. I hope that despite the circumstances you have a great time visiting with them as they surround you with love.
    Kelly Whittemore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you and, especially, for great test results! So glad you have Hudson to keep you smiling and his mom to take good care of you. Thinking of you and your family!

    ReplyDelete