Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Dripping Water on the Rock

"Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee," Exodus 20:12.

I saw it on their faces, especially his, my younger. I didn't have to read his thoughts; he spoke them as he guided my walker into the powder room. "This is weird," he said. "What? Your
taking care of me," I queried. "Yeah," he replied. The truth, one which we try to delay as long as possible, is that we will, eventually, parent our parent. Over the last few days, my children just got a little glimpse into that reality show.

Hudson and I always felt that it was an honor to be able to care for our parents, and we felt strongly about modeling that behavior to our children. All of our parents died rather suddenly, unlike some other family and friends who had years devoted to caring for their elderly parents. We wanted our children to appreciate the wisdom of the elderly and to understand our responsibility to care for them. I'm sure they just didn't expect it to be so soon!

But, there they both were, rallying to my side after surgery to remove my melanoma. They came to cook for me, help change my clothes, make my bed, fluff my pillows, bring my water, my medicine, my laptop. They were there, making me laugh, comforting me, strengthening me by their very presence. Erin flew from South Carolina with Hudson, her one-year-old. Walker drove four hours from Louisiana. We ate together, watched movies, hugged a lot, laughed at baby Hudson toddling around looking for his cell phone (his "bah")...cherishing the moments together. Eventually, they had to leave. They have lives of their own. Lives they would, no doubt, put on hold if it were required of them. They get it. As my dear mentor and surrogate mother Patsy Lewis always told me: "If you drip enough water on the rock, it will make an indention." I think that was her paraphrase of Proverbs 22:6: "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

I pray that it is a very long time or never before they have to put their lives on hold. But, I am so proud of them and the Godly adults they have become. What else could a parent ever desire for their children?

Today at 1:15, I will visit my surgeon oncologist and get the results of my lymph node testing. If you are praying for me, I thank you, again!


Italic

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I love that paraphrase! I give me great hope that what I'm trying so hard to instill in my children, will actually get through.

    There is no greater joy on this earth than to see your children walking in the Lord.

    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to dripping water once thought a nuisance now a treasure! Love you Friend, and I am so praying!!!!

    ReplyDelete